Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Home Again

I'm sitting here writing this while Sophie naps in her swing.  She was discharged from Children's yesterday and home by late afternoon.  So begins the adjustment BACK to being at home.  We had been settling into a routine last week when things got crazy.  She is now on a medication to keep her heart rate normal...which brings her to four medications total.  I think I'm becoming qualified as a pharmacist. :)  The dosages for her seizure medications have all been increased since she is growing quickly and they need to keep a certain level of them in her bloodstream.  The seizure medications are given during the day (two of them twice a day, one of them three times a day), but this new one for her heart rate has to be given four times a day which means giving a dose overnight.  I was not happy about this!  It seems so wrong to wake a sleeping baby even for medicine.  But, it is what we have to do and hopefully only for a couple months until they are able to change the dosing to three times a day.  It went well last night.  I have to set my alarm to wake up and give it to her and actually she hadn't woken me up by 2:30am when I gave it to her.  My frustration will come when she is sleeping through the night eventually and I have to disturb her to give her the overnight dose.  But, we'll deal with that when it comes.

She is doing well.  Had a couple small seizures while at Children's, but nothing major.  We have a neurologist follow up on Monday and then a cardiology follow up in two weeks so I'm hoping to get some more information about where we go from here.  It was hard to get all the information we wanted with having her in the hospital over the weekend b/c the regular doctors aren't there.  For now though we are just happy to have her home again.  I'm praying for some calm and peace for all of us and looking to jump back into a routine of school and activities.  The music class I take the girls to starts on Friday and Madelyn is looking forward to it.  And it would be nice to have an uneventful weekend at home to watch some college football!

Sophie is becoming more alert at almost 7 weeks old.  She looks around at everything and is smiling more and more.  Kayla and Madelyn love to interact with her and "read" her books.  Madelyn keeps asking when Sophie is going to grow up and be fun.  While they love their little sister they are seeing the reality that a baby this young is not as fun as they thought.  Even I have to agree with them!  I love all my babies, but this stage of life is not my favorite and I enjoy them more when they are on more of a routine and are more interactive. :)

Please continue to pray for peace for our family and healing for Sophie.  Her journey continues and we learn more each day about how to care for her.  We appreciate all the love and support from everyone.  The best way people can be of help to us right now is with prayer.  We promise to ask for specific help when we need it!  God continues to guide us as parents to make the best decisions for each of us in each situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment