Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Excited and Nervous-The Next Step

Well, the day we have been waiting for is upon us.  Sophie is scheduled to be discharged from Children's Hospital tomorrow morning.  We are so excited to bring her home and to have our family back under the same roof.  We are very nervous too b/c this will be a completely different experience bringing her home than it was with Kayla and Madelyn.  Sophie will be on 3 different medications so managing a schedule for that will be new to us.  We also have a plan of action for when she has seizures, which ultimately she will.  We just hope that they are few and far between and don't cause us to have to stop them with emergency medication or take her to the ER.  I'm sure I'll be on edge for awhile, watching her constantly, and being paranoid about every twitch until we get settled and into a new routine.  But, we'll be at home.  The hardest part of the past week and a half has been that I've been apart from Mike and the girls.  They have been doing well, but it's wearing on me.  Tonight my mom will be staying with Kayla and Madelyn while Mike and I room in at the hospital with Sophie.  We'll be responsible for all her care overnight with a nurse to help out if needed.  I'm hoping it relieves some anxiety and makes us a little more confident taking her home.

Kayla loves kindergarten and Mike has been getting her into a routine with school.  Our late sleeper has to get up quite early now to get the bus at 7:53am (!) so that's been new for her.  I am home this afternoon so that Mike and I can drive up to Children's together tonight so I'll be surprising her at the bus stop.  Madelyn is supposed to start preschool on Sept 7th and we are hoping that life will calm down some once Sophie is home and that she can still start preschool as scheduled.  Life is going to be busy!  I knew I would have my hands full with three kids, but little did I know what God had in store for our family with Sophie's health issues.  I keep praying that jumping right into things will build confidence and we will start to learn what our "new normal" life is like. 

Please pray that our rooming in experience tonight goes well and that everything goes smoothly with Sophie's discharge tomorrow.  We finally got our insurance to add her to our policy and also got her prescriptions filled to take to the hospital tonight.  It has been quite a headache getting those things straightened out and I thank you all for praying for us through the past couple days with that.  I also want to thank my wonderful friends from my mom's group for the very generous gifts I received this week.  Your timing was amazing as my wallet was stolen over the weekend and the gifts helped tremendously over the past couple days.  All the emails, FB messages, texts, just every way people have been supporting us has been indescribable.  Never have I understood the meaning of being lifted up by others the way I have in the past four weeks.  We are so blessed and literally feel the outpouring of love and support by so many people each day. 

I will leave you with the chorus of a song that has been holding me up lately.  Many blessings to you all!

I will lift my eyes to the Maker;
of the mountains I can't climb.
I will lift my eyes to the Calmer;
of the oceans raging wild.
I will lift my eyes to the Healer;
of the hurt I hold inside.
I will lift my eyes, lift my eyes to You.

"I Will Lift My Eyes" -Bebo Norman

No comments:

Post a Comment